Outfits in the Personal Style section of this blog are categorized by dress code. Definitions of these dress codes are listed below, but keep in mind that these definitions/interpretations are rough and can vary widely depending on the context.
- Casual: Anything goes. Usually reserved for weekends and days off spent lounging around or out and about.
- Dressy Casual: A step above casual. Think a dressy top and nice pants or jeans. These outfits can potentially be worn in work settings where jeans are acceptable (e.g., Casual Fridays).
- Business Casual: Casual yet work-appropriate. Think skirts, slacks, or pants; dresses; open-collar shirts, knit tops, sweaters.
- Business Formal: Formal work attire, a.k.a. srs business. This includes suits, suiting dresses, dresses or skirts with a blazer, blouses and button-up shirts, close-toed shoes. (Recommend referring to your company/office dress code for their definition of “business formal”.)
- Festive & (Semi)Formal: For me, these occasions are few and far between. In this category, I’ve lumped together outfits reserved for parties, special events, weddings, etc.
Helpful source: Emily Post Attire Guide